In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Are aluminum utility trailers worth the money? We will discuss the advantages of aluminium utility trailers. We will also give you advice on how to choose the best utility trailer.
Are aluminum utility trailers worth the money?
Yes, aluminium utility trailers are worth the money. They are perfect for both personal use and business use. Lightness thanks to the aluminum and also stability, solidity, quality are the key words of these utility trailers.
Aluminum is a metallic element, and an average of 29 million tons of this material are produced in the world each year. Approximately 25% is recycled, so it is proven that the material is economical to use in minimal quantities. It is especially good for light and compact trailers designed to transport small volume loads.
The material is not as strong as steel, and it does not have the same level of flexibility. This means that under the same pressure, the aluminum will bend more and will not be able to handle the amount of heavy load effectively. This material is also not suitable for transporting cargo over longer distances, as it fatigue and spoils faster than steel.
Aluminum has become popular as a recyclable material for use in inexpensive homes and trailers.
Do you want to know why you should choose an aluminium utility trailer?
We will tell you briefly:
- Due to its robustness: greater resistance and rigidity. Compared to fiber, aluminum has greater strength. This is a great virtue for towing, as the load suffers less damage and inconvenience. In addition, thanks to its flexibility, aluminum has a greater capacity when it comes to receiving impacts, therefore the trailer suffers less wear.
- Greater safety: aluminum is a practically fire-retardant material, so it does not burn in the event of a fire.
- Simple repair: in case of damage caused by impact or deformation, the repair is simple and the properties are restored without problem.
- Greater resistance to the sun: it is a material with great durability capacity against sun exposure.
- Lower maintenance cost: being an anti-corrosive material, aluminum does not need any additional treatment.
- Reduces the tare of the vehicle: as its density is low, it makes the trailer reduce its tare, allowing more cargo to be loaded.
- Emissions reduction: weighing less makes the vehicle towing the trailer spend less, reducing consumption per km.
- Long life: being more resistant and easy to repair, the life of aluminum is longer.
- High flexibility: its properties make it easily conform to different shapes, making it a material that can be used in different places on the trailer.
- Recyclable: aluminum is a high-value material that ends up being reused continuously. In addition, recycled aluminum does not lose any properties, saving 95% of the energy used.
Which are better: Aluminium or Steel utility trailers?
Each type of metal has its own advantages and disadvantages that easily translate into the type of end product that they are used to making, in this case, trailers. Knowing and comparing the attributes of galvanized and aluminum trailers lead any towing enthusiast to make informed decisions about purchasing one.
Let’s see in the table below the main differences between aluminium and steel trailers.
Steel VS Aluminium Trailers
|Steel Trailer||Aluminium Trailer|
|Properties: Galvanized steel trailers are durable trailers. Steel is resistant to metal fatigue, more scratch-resistant, and easier to work with than aluminum. |
Steel is also a poor conductor of heat than aluminum which means that steel horse trailers could provide a more comfortable ride when transporting live animals such as horses.
The problems with a galvanized steel trailer are that it is heavier to haul and has a shorter lifespan due to being prone to rust.
|Properties: Aluminum trailers are around 25 per cent to 35 percent lighter than steel, making them easier to navigate. |
Aluminum trailers are claimed to last longer than steel trailers as aluminum does not rust and painting and repainting is not required. Aluminum trailers are not without problems.
Aluminum is said to be weaker than steel, therefore trailers need additional reinforcement leading to an overall trailer weight similar to a steel trailer.
Aluminum is also more prone to metal fatigue and shear and tear when damaged; Anything inside the trailer becomes a risk of injury or damage.
|Maintenance and repair: Steel, even galvanized steel, is prone to rust, and therefore steel trailers require storage to prevent or minimize the formation of covered rust. |
Due to the threat of rust, steel requires periodic anti-corrosion treatment and repainting. However, despite more maintenance costs, steel trailers are easier to repair.
|Maintenance and repair: Aluminum trailers appear to be almost maintenance-free, as they do not rust and therefore do not need to be repainted. |
When aluminum trailers are damaged, however, it becomes more expensive, as they are more difficult to repair, since it is a less plastic material than steel.
|Costs: Steel trailers are cheaper compared to aluminum trailers as steel is a cheaper material to work with. Repair costs tend to be lower than that of aluminum. |
However, the weight of the steel trailers combined with the maintenance costs make operations or hauls using more expensive steel
|Costs: Aluminum trailers are more expensive than steel ones. The difficulty of repairing them also makes the repair costs more expensive. |
However, maintenance and use are more economical as aluminum trailers are lighter to tow and do not require repainting or anti-corrosion treatment.
How to choose the right utility trailer?
The utility trailer appears to be a very practical piece of equipment for professionals and individuals alike. It is a non-motorized vehicle that is towed by a car. The offer is very large in this area. How do you choose the most suitable trailer for your needs? Here are some answers.
Different models of utility trailers
First of all, it is essential to say that there is a wide variety of trailers on the market. Each model corresponds to a particular use. Some individuals use them to go on vacation, others to occasionally transport bulky loads or garbage. It is, therefore, necessary to opt for the most suitable model.
• The “baggage trailer” is the lightest model. It is also the one most often seen on the roads in summer. It is totally suitable for people who want additional storage space for luggage to go on vacation. You will have to pay between 300 and 700 $.
• Another model: the van trailer. This is much larger and concerns the transport of animals. This is the case with horses, for example. It is a vehicle primarily intended for professionals. Count between 3,500 and 5,000 $.
• The utility trailer is, most of the time, used by traders to transport their merchandise. This is the case with caterers or florists, for example. Count at least $ 300.
• Bikers will sometimes need a motorcycle trailer. It allows two-wheelers to be transported.
Utility trailer models with or without axles
The trailer with double axles also called a four-wheel trailer is quite advantageous. It is more stable and larger, it allows a fairly balanced distribution of the loads to be transported. It’s a very nice accessory. There are also single axle trailers. The latter is smaller, but also lighter while having a more limited authorized total weight.
It is also essential to check the operation of the trailer and maintain the various parts. This is the case with the trailer air cushions, the elements of the air suspension, ensuring that the trailer behaves properly according to its load. Before getting behind the wheel, it is important to check that the trailer is securely attached to the car. The security issue is essential. If the trailer becomes detached, the consequences can be very serious.
Pay attention to the regulations if towing a utility trailer
Regarding the use of trailers, the regulations are quite complex. It is linked to the type of license, the weight of the trailer and the vehicle’s capacity to tow. Certain special rules also apply at the level of the Highway Code.
Thus, you should know that the trailer must not exceed 12 meters in length (not including the coupling device), with a total between the car and the trailer which must not exceed 18 meters in length and 2.55 meters in length. large.
What criteria should you take into account before buying a utility trailer?
A key element to consider is the maximum load (in kg) that can be supported by the axle. It should be noted that trailers that have a total permissible weight exceeding 500 kilos must have a registration card, but also a registration.
Thus, it is necessary to provide dedicated insurance for the trailer. Regarding trailers with a permissible gross vehicle weight of less than 500 kg, the registration certificate is the same as the car, but it must be ensured that the insurance contract takes into account the trailer.
It should also be borne in mind that it is mandatory to have a braked trailer in the event that the total permissible laden weight of the trailer exceeds half the weight of the empty vehicle. A braking device is triggered when the car brakes.
There is also a spare wheel on a trailer. Most trailers are equipped with a lock, tarpaulin and of course tie-down hooks. For a trailer that is heavy, a coupling head and anti-slip stabilizer provide added safety.
To load the trailer optimally, it is necessary to put 50 to 80 kg at the level of the ball, then. To avoid the yaw phenomenon, load in the front first or lose control of the hitch.
Many consider aluminium trailers better than steel, and we can see why. All aluminium trailers are made of metal, except the axles and hitch. This makes them more durable. They are more expensive than steel trailers and have a higher resale value even after years of use. Also, aluminum trailers are lighter than steel ones and can be towed easier.
Which one would you choose? Let us know what you think!
FAQ on Are aluminum utility trailers worth the money?
Which is stronger: steel or aluminum?
Steel will hold about 4 times more impact than aluminum. Steels: are heavier than aluminum, they are also more resistant. Raw steel has the disadvantage of rusting so it must either be protected or made stainless.
Are aluminium boat trailers better than steel?
Many consider aluminium boat trailers better than steel, and we can see why. All aluminium trailers are made of metal, except the axles and hitch. This makes them more durable. They are more expensive than steel trailers and have a higher resale value even after years of use. Also, aluminum trailers are lighter than steel ones and can be towed easier.
Do aluminum trailers crack?
Yes, the aluminium trailer can crack, if there are plenty of stress cycles put into it. Aluminum is said to be weaker than steel, therefore trailers need additional reinforcement leading to an overall trailer weight similar to a steel trailer. Aluminum is also more prone to metal fatigue and shear and tear when damaged.
Other FAQs about Travel Trailers that you may be interested in.
- What’s The Benefit In Buying An Aluminum Trailer? – Leonard
- Steel or Aluminum Utility trailer? – General Discussion Forum
- How to Pick The Best Trailer: Aluminum vs. Steel | by Ali Woo | Medium